Sunday 14 May 2017

Interview with Marco Turri

After seeing the scans of a UK 1991 Nintendo Club and having unleashed people looking for him all over the Italian territories, thanks to some friend’s efforts we finally found him! And here, as promised on the facebook pages, here is the interview we done with Marco Turri, the first Italian Nintendo fan documented.

NesTales: Hello Marco, we found you thanks to Facebook, it was really exciting and not easy at all. We do not know each other but you were more than accommodating and very kind, thank you in advance for this.
Many will read this about you, can you tell us who you are?

Marco: I am 32 years old and I live in Gallarate, a small town near Varese, Italy.
My biggest passion has always been sport. I consider myself lucky because I managed to turn it into a job and in fact, the strange thing is that I'm an interviewer myself, I am a sports journalist!

NesTales: Amazing, not everyone can do what they like as part of their job! But what we haven't said yet is that you are the first documented Italian Nintendo fan!
How did you hear about Nintendo? And how did it get in your living room?

Marco: Nintendo arrived in my house as a Christmas gift, like many in those days, at the age of six I guess. The first game was, of course, Super Mario Bros. and it was love at first sight!

NesTales: Like many of us you had a Nintendo, we consider you the first one!
How did you get into Nintendo Club pages?

Marco: I do a premise: before being tracked down here on Facebook a few days ago, I did not remember that experience. Digging in the memory has emerged something!

NesTales: it's beautiful when these memories resurface like this! Quick, tell us more!

Marco: I was a subscriber to the magazine - the Nintendo Club, which had a section devoted to the so-called "Achievements" of the players. Absolutely I wanted to be part of it and, amazingly, in the end, I did it!!

NesTales: You still have your copy?

Marco: Definitely somewhere I'll still have my copy, but do not ask me where it is!

NesTales: An English collector sent us the page scans from 1991’s Nintendo Club which came out in the United Kingdom!
Did you know that this was released outside of Italy?

Marco: No, I did not. And I never expected to find my face on an English Nintendo Club from 25 years ago.

NesTales: It seems that you, like many of us, has been enchanted by Ducktales, right?

Marco: Yeah, I remember. I was a fan of the TV series before the game!

NesTales: I do not deny it, it is definitely my favorite game for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Do you remember when Ducktales came to your house?

Marco: I was dazzled. That game involved me so much that I played it three days straight, non-stop, and finished it in record time!

NesTales: There are those who read it in the Nintendo club section who did not believe it!
What else do you remember about Nintendo games?

Marco: I still remember titles like Double Dragon, Wizards and Warriors, Zelda, Megaman and Kick Off, and forgive me if I'm confusing a few with some Super Nintendo titles. I enjoyed it a lot, good times...

NesTales: No confusion at all.
You carried on playing videogames? Do you have some of today's console?

Marco: I continued playing up until college. I switched from Super Nintendo to Nintendo 64, and finally I "betrayed" with PS2. My favorite series of the last years have been GTA and PES (PS2). Then I had to stop playing due to lack of time and I must say I regret it a bit. I have not switched it on for years, but the PS2 is still in the living room.

NesTales: Let her be powered off, Nes is better!
Right now retro gaming is an international trend. Thousands of Nintendo games are traded, sold, bought and collected worldwide. Are you aware? You're not thinking of digging through the attic to find and make money from your old collection are you?

Marco: I did not know this phenomenon - and I'm afraid I've already sold a lot (if not all) over time, but sooner or later I will get to rummage. If I find something I will have to face a ‘Hamlet question’: to sell or to keep?

NesTales: We hope you keep. But if you find the original Marco Turri's Nintendo club magazing autograph it and sell it! Ahahahah joking of course ... Unfortunately, this little chat is over, we thank you for your time and please visit us on facebook, you can find us at "Nes Traders and Collectors Group" or "Tales from the Nes", you will not regret!

Marco: Thank you for bringing me back in time! I'm going to join for sure!

NesTales: you already joined back in 1991! Thanks again Marco!

No comments:

Post a Comment